Are you a Middle School Science Teacher? Does your state follow NGSS standards?
🏫 It can be hard to make sure you are covering all of the Middle School NGSS standards. It is time-consuming to redo all your current lesson plans to make sure they are aligned with the Middle School NGSS standards.
💸 Wouldn’t it be nice to have all the resources you need in one place? And for a discount? Who doesn’t love a good deal?
🌎 Do you want a full year Middle School NGSS Bundle from someone who understands NGSS?
✅ If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, I have the perfect bundle for you! This is a middle school bundle that covers ALL the Middle School NGSS Science Standards. This Middle School Science Bundle addresses all the DCIs for Middle School NGSS.
Save Time and Money with this Middle School NGSS Bundle!
- phenomena-based resources
- engaging activities
- aligned to standards
Save 30% by purchasing this bundle! Get back to the fun of teaching science! Let me do the planning for you!
****Includes over 60 complete science units!***
Included in this Bundle:
- Suggested Daily Schedules
- 5 E Lesson Plans
- Slide Shows
- Reading Passages
- Response Pages
- Lab Pages
- Interactive Notebook Inserts
- Answer Keys
What exactly are the Next Generation Science Standards or NGSS?
Within the NGSS, there are three distinct and equally important dimensions to learning science. These three dimensions are combined to form each standard, and each dimension works with the other two to help students build a cohesive understanding of science over time. Engineering and technology are featured alongside the natural sciences.
Three-Dimensional Learning shifts the focus of the science classroom to environments where students use disciplinary core ideas, crosscutting concepts with scientific practices to explore, examine, and explain how and why phenomena occur and to design solutions to problems. The focus is on making sense of science instead of memorizing a set of facts.
The three dimensions of NGSS are the Science and Engineering Practices, the Crosscutting Concepts, and the Disciplinary Core Ideas.
1.Science and Engineering Practices
The science and Engineering Practices describe what scientists do to investigate phenomena and what engineers do to design solutions to problems. Students use the science and engineering practices to practice their skills of inquiry as they explore the natural world. Students engage in practices to build, deepen and apply their knowledge of disciplinary core ideas and crosscutting concepts.
Although engineering design is similar to scientific inquiry, there are significant differences. For example, scientific inquiry involves the formulation of a question that can be answered through investigation, while engineering design involves the formulation of a problem that can be solved through design. Strengthening the engineering aspects of the Next Generation Science Standards will clarify for students the relevance of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (the four STEM fields) to everyday life.
The eight science and engineering practices for NGSS are:
- Asking questions (for science) and defining problems (for engineering)
- Developing and using models
- Planning and carrying out investigations
- Analyzing and interpreting data
- Using math and computational thinking
- Constructing an explanation (for science) and designing a solution (for engineering)
- Engaging in an argument stemming from evidence
- Obtaining, evaluating, and communicating information
2. Crosscutting Concepts
Crosscutting Concepts help students explore connections across the four domains of science, including Physical Science, Life Science, Earth and Space Science, and Engineering Design. Crosscutting concepts have application across all domains of science. As such, they are a way of linking the different domains of science.
The crosscutting concepts give the students a lens that shows them how to think about the problem at hand. The crosscutting concepts also let the teacher know what types of questions to ask. There are 7 crosscutting concepts that the National Research Council has outlined, which appear in the Next Generation Science Standards. They are:
- Cause and effect
- Scale, proportion, and quantity
- Systems and system models
- Energy and matter: Flows, cycles, and conservation
- Structure and function
- Stability and change
3. Disciplinary Core Ideas
The Disciplinary Core Ideas (DCIs) are the key ideas in science that students must learn at each level. They build on one another at each grade level. There are disciplinary core ideas in each domain of science: Physical Science, Life Science, Earth and Space Science, and Engineering.
Have broad importance across multiple sciences or engineering disciplines or be a key organizing concept of a single discipline;
Provide a key tool for understanding or investigating more complex ideas and solving problems;
Relate to the interests and life experiences of students or be connected to societal or personal concerns that require scientific or technological knowledge;
Be teachable and learnable over multiple grades at increasing levels of depth and sophistication.
Another aspect of the Next Generation Science Standards is the use of Phenomena. Phenomena-based science encourages students to ask questions, discover connections, and design models to make sense of what they observe. Students examine a phenomenon and then ask questions, collaborate with partners, and design models.
What's Inside the full year Middle School NGSS Science Bundle?
This Science Bundle for Middle School NGSS includes:
MS-PS1 Matter and Its Interactions
- Chemical Reactions and Properties of Substance
- Conservation of Mass
- Synthetic Materials
- Structure of Molecules and Atoms
- Exothermic and Endothermic Reactions
- Chemical Reactions with Color Change
- Chemical Reaction With Pennies
- Elephant’s Toothpaste
- Acids and Bases
- Exothermic Reaction Activity (Newly Added)
MS-PS2 Motion and Stability: Forces and Interactions
- Kinetic Energy Graphing Relationships of Mass and Speed MS PS3-1
- Potential Energy Objects Interacting at a Distance
- MS PS3-2Design a Thermos NGSS MS PS3-3
- Thermal Energy and Heat Transfer MS PS3-4
- Energy Transfer: Making an Argument from Evidence
- Newton’s Laws Calculating Time, Speed, and Distance
MS-PS4 Waves and Their Applications in Technologies for Information Transfer
- Waves: Transmission, Absorption, and Reflection
- Waves: Analog and Digital Signals
- Waves and Mathematical Thinking
MS-LS1 From Molecules to Organisms: Structures and Processes
- Cells Structure and Function
- Sensory Receptors and the Nervous System
- Photosynthesis Lab
- Circulatory System Unit
- Animal and Plant Adaptations
- Chemical Digestion and Cellular Respiration
- Bird Adaptation Task Cards (newly added)
- Ecosystem Worksheets (newly added)
MS-LS2 Ecosystems: Interactions, Energy, and Dynamics
MS-LS3 Heredity: Inheritance and Variation of Traits
MS-LS4 Biological Evolution: Unity and Diversity
MS-ESS1 Earth’s Place in the Universe
MS-ESS2 Earth’s Systems
- The Rock Cycle Close Read and Lab for Middle School NGSS MS-ESS2-1
- Pangea: Using Fossil Evidence NGSS MS-ESS2-2 and MS-ESS2-3
- Plate Tectonics Middle School
- Weathering and Erosion Lab and Close Read for Middle School MS-ESS2-2
- The Layers of the Earth Close Reading and Lab NGSS MS-ESS2-2
- Water Cycle in a Jar
- Transpiration and Evaporation Water Cycle Lab
- Air Pressure, Air Masses and Weather Fronts Complete Unit NGSS MS-ESS2-5
- Climate and the Uneven Heating of the Earth’s Surfaces
MS-ESS3 Earth and Human Activity
- Distribution of Resources NGSS MS-ESS3-1.
- Natural Hazards: Analyzing and Interpreting Data NGSS MS-ESS3-2.
- Human Impact on the Environment MS ESS3-3
- Human Population and Impact on Natural Resources NGSS MS ESS3-4
- Climate Change
MS-ETS1 Engineering Design
- Engineering: Criteria and Constraints
- Balloon Car Engineering Design
- STEM Challenge Build a Catapult
- Rubber Band Car
- Slingshot Rocket (newly added)
- STEM Challenge Water Pump (newly added)
Other Resources Included
⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ Extremely Satisfied
“I really enjoyed this entire bundle. It was worth every penny. It includes everything I need, and there were so many great units. Each unit is high-quality. I am so impressed with the work that was put into this resource. Thank you.”
⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ Extremely Satisfied